Saturday, February 11, 2017

2016 Knitting Projects in Review

My 2016 Sewing Hits and Misses post was a hit, so I thought I would make a similar one about my knitting.  I find it interesting that on my blog, my sewing posts are more popular, but on Instagram, knitting gets more love.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little trip down 2016 knitting memory lane, even if it is already February.

First of all, I knit a lot more than I thought I did!  In the past few years, I have gotten so much better about picking projects that I will like to knit and wear, so I have many fewer unfinished projects laying around.  I also know when to quit, so I am more likely to rip something out halfway through rather than let it sit around half finished or finish it and never wear it.  That said, I some things are still more loved than others.  Here are my 2016 projects, least-successful to most.

18.  Infinito  I have not worn this one single time!  Why not?  The yarn is gorgeous, the design is wearable.  Who knows?  Sometimes these things are beyond analysis, but the wardrobe test confirms it.  This must be ripped out and reknit into something else.


17.  On the Moors with Jane Eyre Shawl  Love the color, love the simple design.  It is just too small to be wearable.  I can't remember if I did modifications that made it smaller than designed or not.


16.  Option Flats  These are really cute slippers.  The problem is they grow and flop around and need to be re-shrunk, and they are literal velcro rollers for the dog hair in my house.  Y'all, I sweep and vacuum a lot, and it is just depressing to still see the dog hair all over them.


15.  Manzanilla  I actually wore this yesterday, so not so bad I guess, but I do not feel my best in it.  The single-ply yarn is too fuzzy, it is too variegated for the cool sleeve detail, it is too tight in the sleeves, and I don't love the color - the perils of online yarn buying.


14.  Oak Grove Mitts and scarf    These suffered by being lumped together.  I really like the mitts, but the scarf is too long and skinny.  I need to rip it out and make something else to go with my mitts.


13.  Newsom  This is such a clever design, but the saggy raglan shoulders...  Grrrrrr


12.  Featherweight Cardigan  Oh Featherweight, I had such high hopes for you.  The problem with this the raglan shoulders.  I should really know better by now.  NO MORE RAGLAN CARDIGANS.  Hold me to it.  They slide right off my sloping shoulders and require constant tugging up.


11..  Art Deco Hat  This is a really nice hat.  I added that giant pom pom, which is ridiculous, and I love, but it is so heavy that the hat requires frequent adjustment on my head.


10.  Snoqualmie  Ok.  This sweater is GORGEOUS.  It is also HOT.  I wore it a lot during a winter trip to Pennsylvania, but I haven't worn it once this winter in Florida, so it loses points for being a less-than-practical creation.


9.  Gioielli  Gloves  I am really proud of these.  I just don't get to wear them often in the Florida weather.


8.  Cabled Tunic  Well, mine isn't a tunic, but that is what the pattern is called.  I wear this a lot.  The only downside is I don't love the sleeve shape.  I have extra yarn and really should fix that.  I bet I could do it in a weekend...


7.  Spindrift Shawl  Pretty colors and a nice, wearable size and shape.


6.  Lesley Pullover  A great basic pullover.  I really like the cotton yarn.  The only downside is it shrinks lengthwise in the dryer (and I love throwing this in the dryer), so it isn't as long in the body or sleeves as I expected.  I would love to make another in this same yarn in white.


5.  Clockwork in Brioche  Sooooo snuggly.  This is an awesome pattern to learn brioche, and I love me some Ewe2yarn.


4.  Jujuy  I love the colors I picked for this, and the big crescent shape is wearable.


3.  Georgetown  My most-worn sweater.  I throw this on over everything.  I will be using more of this yarn in the future.  It has a large cotton content, which makes it cool, but it has a wooly feel when knitting and worn.


2.  Lilli Pillli  I love this.  It is a beautiful design, beautiful yarn, and a really wearable shape.


1.  Cusp Poncho  I think this is my favorite thing I have ever knit.  I LOVE this thing.  It is comfortable, warm-but-wearable in Florida, and strikingly interesting without being too weird.  If it wasn't so distinctive, I would be tempted to knit another.


Here is 2016 knitting, broken down into categories:

1 pair slippers
1 hat
2 pairs gloves/mitts
7 Shawls/cowls/scarves
8 sweaters - 1 poncho, 3 pullovers, 4 cardigans

Overall, a very successful knitting year.  There are only 2 things I have decided today that I need to frog (rip apart) and re-knit into something else.




2 comments:

  1. I would say your year was highly successful. I love your cardigans, especially the cabled one, but then I live in a cold climate and sweaters like that are super. But the Hannah Fetig cardigan is very tempting. Your sweaters look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you need to offload those raglan sleeve sweaters, I know someone with Russian swimmer shoulders who likes a good raglan sleeve...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)